Information Support Service
The aim of the Information Support Service provided by the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre Far North Coast (The Centre) is to assist people to live independently in their own home by providing free, confidential information about community aged care, disability and other support services in the Far North Coast region. The Information Support Service can be accessed by phoning FREECALL ™ 1800 052 222* (*calls from mobile phones charged at applicable rates).
Assistance is provided with referrals to community of health services to those people who may have difficulty in accessing services without support.
Information specifically about access to aged care services – including aged care facilities – can be accessed by phoning 1800 200 422* or 1800 500 853* (*calls from mobile phones charged at applicable rates).
- Older people
- People with disabilities
- Family members
- Community service providers
- General Practitioners (GPs) and practice staff
- Other health professionals
- Community members
- To enhance the quality of care delivered to older Australians and people with disabilities, through the expansion of relations between general practitioners, community care service providers and the wider community.
- To establish and maintain an up-to-date data base/directory of community care, and other health, aged and disability services within the Far North Coast region.
- To respond to enquiries from a range of individuals about their need for information. Enquiries are by phone contact, in person, facsimile, email or letter.
- To provide guided referral for persons who need assistance with referral to other services.
- To provide accurate up to date information to callers contacting the service.
- To liaise with health and community service providers in the Far North Coast and form information partnerships to improve dissemination of information to the target population.
How We Work
- We provide callers with a range of options on services suitable to each individual request.
- We provide the community with the opportunity to access accurate, up to date information on aged care, health, community and disability services, via a FREECALL™ 1800 phone number or visit to The Centre shop front.
- We respond to information enquiries about availability, eligibility criteria and cost of community care services in the Far North Coast region.
- We transfer callers free of charge to any other Information Support Service nationally for information in other regions.
- We have a comprehensive list of services on our database.
- We update the information on our database on a six monthly cycle, ensuring that no information is more than one year old.
When a caller contacts the Information Support Service for information, the following process occurs:
- Coordinators answer any incoming calls.
- If the caller requires basic information, for example contact details for one or two services, the Coordinator provides this information immediately.
- If the caller has more complex service requirements, a functional screening will be conducted with the caller.
- If the caller requires information regarding service provision in another region, the Coordinator will transfer the call (at no cost to the caller) to the relevant Information Support Service in that region.
- If the caller is distressed, the call will be put through to the first available Coordinator.
- The Coordinator follows up with written information regarding services, if required.
- If the caller is unable to contact a service(s), the Coordinator makes the referral on the callers' behalf.
Who Can Refer To Us